Grade Level: K-2
- “W” Floor Hockey Pattern
- Poly spots are set up in a W formation. Students are stationed at each of the poly spots and work together to pass to the next student. After passing, they will follow their pass to the next spot. Once they reach the final spot, they get to attempt a shot on the goal.
- G – Student Goals
- Practice passing, receiving, and shooting on a goal
- O – Opportunities
- All students get the opportunity to pass, receive the puck, and shoot on a goal without the difficulty of having to shoot pass a goalkeeper or defender.
- A – Appropriate
- This game is appropriate for a 1st through 3rd grade class and keeps them focused on the skills using the hockey stick instead of trying to play against defenders
- L – Learning Domains
- The activity allows good opportunities for teamwork since the students must pass the puck to the next student in the W formation. Also encourages the last student in the formation to make a good shot and score.
- S – Slanty Creek
- Different W formations can be set up with different distances between poly spots for harder and easier passes. Also, groups can change from slower moving objects like pucks to whiffle balls to make the passing and receiving more difficult.
Works cooperatively with others. (S4.E4.3a)
Strikes an object with a long-handled implement (e.g., hockey stick, golf club, bat, tennis racket, badminton racket), while demonstrating 3 of the 5 critical elements of a mature pattern for the implement (grip, stance, body orientation, swing plane and followthrough). (S1.E25.4)